Mailart 365
Making mailart every day since December 1st, 2010!

Mailart 365 has moved

Thanks for visiting Mailart 365. This site is an archive of mailart produced by artists doing mailart 365 from December 2010 to August 2016. As of July 2016, we moved to a new and more modern site at www.mailart365.com. Come on over and check us out there




Mailart365

025 - A is for Anh


For as long as Mailart 365 has been running, February has traditionally been "Alphabet month" and so this year, as I'm in Hanoi and learning Vietnamese, I thought I'd do the Vietnamese alphabet. 

The Vietnamese alphabet has 29 letters in it, so I really should have done this 2 years ago as there are one too many letters for a standard February. However, 2 years ago, I couldn't read Vietnamese, so this would have been impossible.

One of the first complications for language learners of Vietnamese is the pronouns. The problem is that there is no fixed term for "I" or "you", but the pronoun changes depending on whether the person you are speaking to is older or younger than you. The choice of pronoun is crucial as it also shows the requisite amount of respect, so if you get it wrong and, for example call someone older "em" (meaning "younger person") you could make a social faux-pas. 

So the one I try and use most often when talking to older (looking) men is "anh" which means "Older brother". I've found that, as a general rule, this is usually a safe bet when talking to guys who are not children or haven't got wrinkles.

This A is pronounced like the A at the start of the name Anne.

The word "Anh" also  means something else in Vietnamese. It means "English". When my parents landed in England they wanted me to fit in, hence they didn't make me talk Vietnamese, but encouraged me to talk English. I heard that they chose my name, Andrew, because it has the word "Anh" in it, so that I would be "The English One"
0 comments:

Post a Comment

Badge

Making mailart with mailart 365? Tell the world with our mailart 365 badge!

I'm making mailart - EVERY DAY! www.mailart365.com

Recent Comments

Fill out my online form.

Followers


Our other blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...