Mailart 365
Making mailart every day since December 1st, 2010!

Mailart 365 has moved

Thanks for visiting Mailart 365. This site is an archive of mailart produced by artists doing mailart 365 from December 2010 to August 2016. As of July 2016, we moved to a new and more modern site at www.mailart365.com. Come on over and check us out there




Mailart365

237 - West Highland Way (back)


I've mentioned my eBay Sharpie sales quite a lot recently as Sharpies have really taken over my life as far as eBay sales are concerned. This is also an eBay envelope, but not for the usual.

Me and Elena recently walked the West Highland Way, and bought a walking guide for the trip. We decided to sell it when we got back and this is the envelope I'm sending it in.

The junction of commerce and mailart again and once again it's not one that I feel I would have sent as a piece to a mailart friend. I have many reservations about sending mailart to paying customers, and in this case they don't know they're getting mailart. So what do I do? Play conservative? Go all out? Leave it blank?

237 - Adventure (front)

I'm now so used to drawing on all outgoing mail that I couldn't bring myself to send it blank and wanted it to be relevant to the contents, hence the spattering of logos and Scottish flag, but it's not a piece of art from deep within. It's not really satisfying art. It makes me happy, don't get me wrong, but it's not an artwork I would be happy to say, hang up on the wall, unlike some of the others I've made. Admittedly there are some Sharpie envelopes I would hang on the wall, like 236 but designing for envelopes feels more like design work, not necessarily art if that makes sense.

Should art and commerce mix? What do you think?
3 comments:

Yes. That's the answer. YES.


I was tempted to write "42" but I didn't. I held back. he he he he


I think the question should be "Should art and commerce be kept separate?" to which the answer is a resounding no.


Post a Comment

Badge

Making mailart with mailart 365? Tell the world with our mailart 365 badge!

I'm making mailart - EVERY DAY! www.mailart365.com

Recent Comments

Fill out my online form.

Followers


Our other blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...