Mailart 365
Making mailart every day since December 1st, 2010!

Mailart 365 has moved

Thanks for visiting Mailart 365. This site is an archive of mailart produced by artists doing mailart 365 from December 2010 to August 2016. As of July 2016, we moved to a new and more modern site at www.mailart365.com. Come on over and check us out there




Mailart365

1-2/365



DC. I grew up next this city experiencing its culture-- museum field trips every year during grade school. A Congressman's son was in my class several years, so I've seen intimate parts of the Capitol that most children missed because they weren't part of the tour. Do I remember? No. But maybe I never had the budding politician desire because I had already sat in Congress at least three times by the time I was 11. When I got older, able to visit the city alone but not to drive to it, I spent a lot of days exploring solo and with friends. I learned the map, or at least the tourist map. I can always find the Air&Space museum.

It wasn't until high school that I started getting into the music, DCxHC and the punk scene. That's not what these mix CDs are all about, but listening to Girls Against Boys and Fugazi, I gained an inkling of understanding: the DC music community has so much to offer. Lyrically, musically, sure-- but there's more than just political commentary in these songs. It's something to feel a part of, even if you don't make music yourself (as I don't). I feel at home in those church basement shows. I feel like I belong for the first time in a long time.

Maybe it's crazy; certainly it's very silly to think of all this in such poetic terms. It means as much to me as anything else that has influenced my lifestyle.

To jump-start my Mailart 365 commitment, I'm illustrating a local music mix CD for those in my address list. (There are about 25 addresses, plus pen pals, on this list, so I'm looking at a pretty busy season!) I'm very excited to come up with separate pieces of artwork for each! Here's to my new journey in mail-art creation.

xo June
1 comments:

Welcome to our 365 group! Thanks for labelling properly, I've added your 365 link in the sidebar for you so you should be able to see all your posts in one place.

Great way to start - 25 mix CDs! I'm on a square envelope eBay thing at the moment myself. I love seeing themes personally :-)


Post a Comment

Badge

Making mailart with mailart 365? Tell the world with our mailart 365 badge!

I'm making mailart - EVERY DAY! www.mailart365.com

Recent Comments

Fill out my online form.

Followers


Our other blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...