Mailart 365
Making mailart every day since December 1st, 2010!

Mailart 365 has moved

Thanks for visiting Mailart 365. This site is an archive of mailart produced by artists doing mailart 365 from December 2010 to August 2016. As of July 2016, we moved to a new and more modern site at www.mailart365.com. Come on over and check us out there




Mailart365

99 - Take heed

Labels:

As an avid comics reader, I've always been fascinated by how some artists draw black people. I love that the most skilled artists can render a cartoon character in black and white and yes still bring across the essential features that make black people black and yellow people yellow and white people white.

I have never tried drawing a black person before, but wanted to give it a try. I was initially reticent to add the brown to the pencil sketch as it meant obscuring the underlying pencil, and the darkness of the tone meant that definition was obscured, but I got used to it after a while, my eyes and brain adjusting to the darkness eventually.

Just as with most of my art journey, I found that once you get started it really isn't so hard to create something.

This desire to draw black people most recently sprung out of reading "Still I Rise: A Cartoon History of African Americans" by Bey and Laird, a highly recommended read for anyone interested in black history in America.

The stamps were a present from our very own Mim, who came over and gave me and Elena the mailart365 stamp in person when she came over for our wedding, and the bold red Licensed Mailartist stamp came through this week after 6 months in transit from VA!

3 comments:

Great card and story, Andy. It's amazing that the stamp finally showed up. I know you were thrilled and it arrived just in time for your card #99!


Nice work and stamp is great!


Yeah the stamp is a perfect gift isn't it!


Post a Comment

Badge

Making mailart with mailart 365? Tell the world with our mailart 365 badge!

I'm making mailart - EVERY DAY! www.mailart365.com

Recent Comments

Fill out my online form.

Followers


Our other blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...