Mailart 365
Making mailart every day since December 1st, 2010!

Mailart 365 has moved

Thanks for visiting Mailart 365. This site is an archive of mailart produced by artists doing mailart 365 from December 2010 to August 2016. As of July 2016, we moved to a new and more modern site at www.mailart365.com. Come on over and check us out there




Mailart365

6_365 - Tezuka at the drawing board

Labels:

Tonight I made two pieces, but #5 is still drying so I didn't want to put it in the scanner, hence the order will be a little off.

I pencilled this piece from an Osamu Tezuka comic that I was reading on the train a few months ago. I am a HUGE fan of Osamu Tezuka, who the Japanese call the God of manga. Very few people know him in the west sadly, despite the fact that he wrote Kimba the Lion. "What's Kimba the White Lion?" I hear you ask. Well Kimba the white lion is often cited as the inspiration for Walt Disneys Lion King.

In addition, Osamu Tezuka wrote Astroboy and the wonderful Black Jack series from which this image was inspired.

The image shows Osamu Tezuka himself, who would often draw himself into his comics. In this scene he's been arrested but his editor won't let him rest, hence he's drawing his next piece while in custody.

The piece will be sent to one of the schools who sent me a mailart call. I, like the rest of you, probably get way too many posts to answer to, and these days I get a great many schools sending me mailart to put on my REAL wall, and I do feel it rude not to reply. However, whenever a school asks for mailart, I figure that they probably want mailart from more people than me, so I have posted my school mailart calls up on a site which I hope will encourage schools to swap amongst themselves. Check out the site at http://schoolswaps.tumblr.com/ and feel free to add your own ones there.

4 comments:

Oh yeah.. I'm feeling the pain too, but still keeping up. They aren't getting posted here on time, but I am doing them! I'll have to check out the school's mailart call once I get some out to people that I already owe art to.

Love your drawing!


Thanks FarStarr! I only started drawing last month and am trying to use simple pics from comics to start me off. I particularly like using comics characters because I can feel like I know them and I know by the end of an artwork whether I have captured their spirit in the picture


Nice drawing Andy. I am a terrible drawer but I still slog away at it now and then and I think your plan to keep it simple is a good one.

You didn't mention "Buddha" Tezuka's masterpiece and one of the best things I have ever read. I heard he also drew a biography of Beethoven but I've never seen it. Have you?


Ah yes I did neglect to mention Buddha, but then I thought I'd mention his better known works. To mention all of Tezukas masterpieces would have taken waaaay too long, I would have had to mention Phoenix, MW, Ode to Kirihito and Adolf as well as a number of others. I've not seen the Beethoven one but I'm not sure that it's been translated from Japanese.

I too discovered Tezuka through Buddha, and agree, it's a really incredible story. Tezuka himself appears in that once or twice


Post a Comment

Badge

Making mailart with mailart 365? Tell the world with our mailart 365 badge!

I'm making mailart - EVERY DAY! www.mailart365.com

Recent Comments

Fill out my online form.

Followers


Our other blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...